The Parker County Hospital District (PCHD) enjoys
a proud history of serving the families of Parker County.
Prior to 1945, very limited hospital service was available in Parker County. Dr. E.D. Fyke operated a private hospital from a converted house, known as the Colonel Bowie home, located on North Main in Weatherford. In 1945, Parker County purchased Dr. Fyke's hospital and it became known as Parker County Hospital.
Several remodeling phases were completed and following an extensive addition in 1958, the facility was renamed Campbell Memorial Hospital in memory of Dr. W.M. Campbell, an early day general practioner in the county.
By 1958, with rapid population growth in both the city and county, additional capacity was needed beyond the 56 beds available. Responding to the need for greater capacity and a more modern health facility, the voters created the Parker County Hospital District and also approved $1,725,000 in bonds to construct a new hospital. In addition, a petition as filed for $1,000,000 in Hill-Burton funds, which was subsequently granted.
The 35–acre tract of land in south Weatherford on which the hospital (now Weatherford Regional Medical Center) is presently located was purchased by the Hospital District in 1968, and construction began in 1970. On November 9, 1972, Campbell Memorial Hospital opened its new 97-bed facility.
Two historic events happened in 1988: a $1.3 million Ambulatory Department addition was completed and county voters overwhelmingly supported PCHD assuming full responsibility for ambulance service in Parker County (supported by an addition to the hospital district tax rate).
Initially named TriCare EMS, the county-wide ambulance service is now known as LifeCare EMS. With stations in Springtown, Willow Park and Weatherford and a staff of around 35, LifeCare is one of the few 100% paramedic staffed and Mobile ICU equipped truck emergency services in the country. County-wide response times are around 11 minutes on an average number of 800 calls per month.
In 1994 the district opened its rural health clinic, Campbell Clinic. The clinic moved into its current location at 1517 Texas Dr. in May, 2009. Dr. Kris Wusterhausen is the medical director and oversees three mid-level practitioners. Visits have increased to around 800 per month. The clinic serves anyone from self-pay to major medical insured, Medicare and Medicaid. Clinic hours are 8a.m.-5p.m. Monday through Friday.
After two failed major bond packages were defeated, the district, in 2006, made the decision to take proposals for the managing or leasing of Campbell Health System.
The board voted to accept a 30-year lease from Community Health Systems of Brentwood, Tennessee. CHS took over management of the facility on November 1, 2006.
PCHD retained three parts of the health system; Campbell Clinic, LifeCare EMS and the Parker County Medical Assistance Program (formerly known as the Indigent Care Program). In 2008 PCHD started its Outreach Program to assist the public with basic medical screenings and immunizations. In the first full year the Outreach Program gave 3800 flu shots and provided over 250 mammograms to county residents. In 2009 the district, so far, has given over 10,500 seasonal flu shots and over 2500 swine flu shots. PCHD staff also worked with the county's school districts in helping parents get the shots needed to register for school. Over 3000 school immunizations were given from May through the first week of the Fall 2009 semester.